PH2043: General Relativity and Cosmology
The module covers the following topics:
- Introduction to differential geometry.
- The equivalence principle. Gravitation. The Einstein’s equation. Newtonian limit.
- The Schwartzschild Metric. Black holes.
- The weak field approximation. Gravitational waves.
- Cosmology: Homogeneity and isotropy, Robertson-Walker metric.
- Friedmann Equation. Hubble parameter. The expanding Universe.
After participation in the Module the student is able to:
- Understand the origin of gravity as the effect of the curvature of spacetime.
- Describe the classical experimental tests of general relativity: the deflection of light, the precession of perihelia and gravitational redshift.
- Understand the basic physics of black holes.
- Understand the basic properties of gravitational waves.
- Describe the different stages of the expanding Universe and derive the Hubble’s law.
- Winter Semester