If you want to apply for the graduate program please send the following documents:
- A one page statement of why you want to join the elite graduate program "Theoretical and Mathematical Physics"
- You high-school diploma (Zeugnis der Hochschulreife), in translation if appropriate
- Your bachelor certificate in physics or mathematics displaying your grades (alternatively: Vordiplomszeugnis and grades of subsequent courses or a recent "Transcript of records", if available)
- Curriculum vitae containing your current mailing address as well as your date of birth and nationalities
- A letter of recommendation (can be sent separately or by email. If your referee prefers to use encrypted email - this is optional -, the appropriate cryptographic keys can be found below)
- If available: GRE subject test in physics or mathematics (preferably sent directly to us, our Institution Code is 7263), required for applicants without a Bachelor's degree from within the European Economic Area
- If available: TOEFL, IELTS or comparable test
- Any other material you see fit
Please make sure you include your email address (for example in the CV) so we can contact you!
At this stage of the application, there is no need to fill in any application form.
Usually, there is no point in sending your application by registered mail ("Recommendé"/"Einschreiben"). We will let you know by email as soon as we receive your application.
The application deadline is July 15th in every year for the class starting in October. You can apply at any point before that deadline.
Please refrain from using staples, paper clips, or folders for your application documents as they complicate the further processing of your application. Some documents come stapled (e.g. certified copies or translations), you can leave those as they are but please do not add extra staples that interfere with the document feeder of our scanner/copier.
The application deadline for the course starting in fall is July 15th in every year.
Send your application to
z. Hd. Robert Helling
Dept. f. Physik
In 2020, due to the corona pandemic, at this first stage of the application process, you can apply electronically by sending your application as a single PDF file by email to email@example.com . Upon acceptance, you will later have to present originals/certified copies. Of course, the letter of recommendation can be sent separately to firstname.lastname@example.org
Promising applicants will be invited to an interview after which the final decision about admission will be made. This interview can be waved for applicants with exceptionally good grades.
Please be aware that the TMP master program shares many of its classes with the MSc programs in physics and mathematics. While applying to TMP you might also consider applying to the other programs (both at LMU and TUM) as well as those have different requirements for admission (in particular they do not require strong backgrounds in both physics and mathematics). Application to the other programs does not affect your chances to be admitted to TMP. If you are interested in those programs you have to send separate applications as descibed on the respective web pages.
The formal requirement to enrol in a graduate program leading to a master's degree is a bachelor's degree. We understand that students enrolled in a program leading to a Diplom do not have a bachelor's degree. Thus, for a transitional period, students with a Vordiplom in physics or mathematics (and preferably two more semesters of the Diplomstudiengang) can enrol in the graduate program "Theoretical and Mathematical Physics" under the condition that they complete their bachelor's degree within the first year. The detailed procedure for this is currently being worked out.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
We intend to digitally sign important emails sent our by us. Robert Helling uses GnuPG with finger print
FD81 EF06 E1C7 8364 F364 9EBC 0DA3 6E77 529D F349 (email@example.com 529DF349)
85FD 9B32 4F0D E894 AD4F 8E45 78E3 F3BF 19DF 9623 (firstname.lastname@example.org 19DF9623)
(new keys generated May 2020)
The full key can be found here.