Phone: +49 (0)89 2180-4516
Fax: +49 89 2180-4517
- I am interested in transport and condensation phenomena occurring in nonequilibrium jump processes. These processes find a broad range of application, for example in the study of
- mass transport models (condensation and depletion of network nodes / lattice sites),
- condensation in nonequilibrium boson systems that are incoherently driven and dissipative (condensation and depletion of quantum states),
- evolutionary game theory (win and loss of strategies)
- biodiversity in population dynamics (survival and extinction of species), and
- in autocatalytic bimolecular reaction networks (production and consumption of chemical species).
- From a mathematical point of view, I study the interplay between nonlinear dynamics (arising through particle interactions or quantum statistics) and stochasticity (arising through demographic noise). This interplay gives rise to interesting phenomena ranging from transport to condensation of particles.
- Furthermore, I am interested in the evolution of cooperation at microbial level (public goods dilemma) and, more generally, in microbiology.
- 01/2012 - 06/2017: PhD student in the group of Prof. Frey, LMU Munich, Germany. Supported by the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes.
- 10/2010 - 09/2011: Master student in the group of Prof. Frey, LMU Munich Master thesis: Evolution of cooperation in bacterial biofilms. My master thesis in a nutshell according to http://wordle.net
- 10/2009 - 09/2010: Certificate of Advanced Study in Mathematics (Part III), University of CambridgeEssay: Application of stochastic field theory to reaction-diffusion problems
- 10/2008 - 09/2011: Studies of Theoretical and Mathematical Physics (TMP), LMU Munich, Elitenetzwerk Bayern. Supported by the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes and by the Max-Weber Programm Bayern.
- 10/2005 - 09/2008: Studies of Physics and Mathematics, University of Rostock, Germany
- 07/2004: Abitur, Käthe-Kollwitz-Gymnasium, Rostock, Germany
Research courses and research stays
- 07/2015: Boulder Summer School: Soft Matter In and Out of Equilibrium, University of Colorado Boulder.
- 09/2014: Advanced Study Group, MPI Dresden.
- 07-08/2014: KITP QBio Summer Research Course: Microbial Strategies for Survival and Evolution at the Santa Barbara Advanced School of Quantitative Biology (collaboration of KITP and MCDB at UCSB), course directors: Paul Rainey, Joel Rothman, and Boris Shraiman. Projects: Distribution of lag times of E. coli cells during diauxic shift (with Nathalie Balaban and Ofer Fridman); Kinetics of phenotype switching in Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 (with Paul Rainey and Philippe Remigi).
- 07/2013: Hopkins Microbiology Course, course directors: Alfred Spormann, Chris Francis, and Paul Rainey. Project: Core genome of Vibrio splendidus. Supported by Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds travel grant.
- 05/2013: Advanced Study Group, MPI Dresden.
- 01-02/2013: KITP program on Cooperation and the Evolution of Multicellularity. Supported by a travel grant of the NanoInitiative Munich (NIM).
- 11/2016: SPP-1590 Meeting at the University of Vienna, “Quorum sensing in stochastic many-particle models of microbial populations”.
- 10/2016: Seminar talk at TWS Partners AG; invited talk at a business management consultancy in Munich, “Biodiversity and cooperation in microbial populations”.
- 06/2016: Seminar talk in the framework of the SFB/TRR 109 “Discretization in Geometry and Dynamics” at the Freie
Universität Berlin, “How network topology determines condensation and transport properties of the antisymmetric Lotka-Volterra equation”.
- 06/2016: Seminar talk in the group of Dr. Jürgen Jost at the Max-Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig, “Condensation and transport in the antisymmetric Lotka-Volterra equation”.
- 01/2016: Theoretical Physics Colloquium at the University of Oldenburg, “Evolutionary games of condensates in driven-dissipative systems of non-interacting bosons”.
- 07/2015: Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Cambridge (MA), “Evolutionary games of condensates – Condensation in driven-dissipative systems of non-interacting bosons”.
- 05/2015: SFB-TR12 Conference, University of Cologne, “Evolutionary games of condensates”.
- 05/2013: IQOQI, Institute for Theoretical Physics, University of Innsbruck, “Coexistence and survival in conservative Lotka-Volterra systems”.
- 10/2011: Max-Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology in Plön, “Evolution of cooperation in bacterial biofilms – A stochastic model for the growth and sinking of bacterial mats”.
- 03/2017: DPG-Frühjahrstagung in Dresden.
- 03/2016: APS March Meeting in Baltimore.
- 03/2016: DPG-Frühjahrstagung in Regensburg.
- 03/2015: DPG-Frühjahrstagung in Berlin.
- 03/2015: APS March Meeting in San Antonio.
- 04/2014: DPG-Frühjahrstagung in Dresden.
- 03/2014: APS March Meeting in Denver.
- 03/2013: DPG-Frühjahrstagung in Regensburg.
- 03/2012: DPG-Frühjahrstagung in Berlin.
- 02/2012: APS March Meeting in Boston.
- 02/2012: SFB-TR12 Meeting in Langeoog.
Matthias Bauer, Johannes Knebel, Matthias Lechner, Peter Pickl, Erwin Frey,
Ecological feedback in quorum-sensing microbial populations can induce heterogeneous production of autoinducers,
eLife 2017; 6:e25773.
Elke Hebisch, Johannes Knebel, Janek Landsberg, Erwin Frey, Madeleine Leisner,
High Variation of Fluorescence Protein Maturation Times in Closely Related Escherichia Coli Strains,
PLoS ONE 8 (10), e0075991 (2013).